What is a Bone Marrow Transplant?
The purpose of a bone marrow transplant is to replace the cells in the bone marrow. These cells have been damaged or destroyed by disease, cancer, infection, and chemotherapy. These replacement cells can either come from your own body or from a donor. Bone marrow transplantation is a treatment option for patients with leukemia, myeloma, lymphoma, blood disorders, and immunodeficiency diseases that affect the bone marrow.
What is Bone Marrow?
Bone marrow is also called stem cell transplant or more particularly known as hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Bone marrow is a soft, compressible tissue in the body that carries hematopoietic stem cells. It is mainly located at the core of the bones. The blood contains hematopoietic stem cells that work throughout your body.
Blood-forming cells called stem cells are undeveloped cells that develop into red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. These cells are built-in soft tissue in the center of your bones called bone marrow. When they develop, they split the marrow and enter the bloodstream.
Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) is not surgery. The stem cells are introduced into the bloodstream by an intravenous (IV) catheter or tube. An IV transports medicine or blood. Cells appear to be moving into the bone marrow. It can take months or years to get better from a Bone Marrow Transplant.
What is the distinctive category of Bone Marrow?
There are 2 main categories of transplants. It includes:
In Autologous Transplant, stem cells come from a person’s own body. Radiation therapy and chemotherapy are irregularly used to treat cancer. This type of treatment harms your stem cells and your immune system. In order to start cancer treatment, doctors remove and save your stem cells from your blood or bone marrow.
Stem cells are given back to your body after cancer treatment. Your immune system is restored and your body has the ability to make red blood cells and fight infections. This procedure is known as Autologous Transplant or stem cell therapy.
In an allogeneic transplant, stem cells come from another individual called a donor. After the treatment of cancer with chemotherapy or radiation therapy, the donor’s stem cells are given to the patient. This procedure is known as Allogeneic Transplant.
What are the advantages of a Bone Marrow Transplant?
Some diseases can be improved by bone marrow transplants. It includes:
- Severe aplastic anemia
- Multiple myeloma
- Immune deficiency disorders
- Some tumors cancers
What are the risk factors associated with a Bone Marrow Transplant?
A bone marrow transplant is known to be a considerable procedure and it increases the risk which includes:
- Low blood pressure
- Shortness of breath
What are the best bone marrow transplant centers in India?
The most reputable Bone Marrow Transplant Centers in India are:
- Fortis Hospital (Gurgaon) – It was established in 2001. The number of beds is 400. It offers health facilities in India and abroad. It is known as the ‘Mecca of Healthcare. This health institute is ranked second in the global study of the top 30 hospitals.
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital (New Delhi) – It was established in 1996. The number of beds is 1000. This hospital includes and provides 10,000 beds across 64 hospitals, more than 2,200 pharmacies, more than 100 primary care, and diagnostic clinics, and 115 telemedicine units across 9 countries.
- Medanta – The Medicity Hospital (Gurgaon) – It was established in 2009. The number of beds is 1600. This is a popular hospital in India. The hospital is the country’s first hospital to offer robotic surgery in Cardiology, Urology, and Gynecology.
- Max Super Speciality Hospital (Saket, New Delhi) – It was founded in 2006. The number of beds is 319. OT Accreditation for the First Global Green Hospital has been awarded to this hospital.
- BLK Super Specialty Hospital (New Delhi) – It was established in 1959. The number of beds is 775. This hospital is the first and only hospital to install and start the use of an automatic pneumatic chute system that increases health care.
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital (Mumbai) – It was established in 2006. The number of beds is 1000. It is one of the most modern and advanced multi-specialty hospitals. This hospital is the only hospital in India to perform the fastest 1500 Robotic Surgeries within 48 months of inauguration. It has been awarded for its brilliant hospital building in India by Honeywell and the Times of India.
- Artemis Hospital (Gurgaon) – It was established in 2007. The number of beds is 414. It consists of a total of 350 general beds and 64 ICU beds. It includes more than 300 full-time doctors, 40 super specialists, and 11 excellence centers. In 2011, Artemis Hospital was awarded the Asia Pacific Hand Hygiene Excellence Award by WHO (World Health Organization).
- Global Hospital (Chennai) – It was established in 1999. The number of beds is 1100. The hospital is part of Parkway Pantai Limited, one of the largest private healthcare groups in the region. The Lung Transplantation Program at Global Hospital is known to be the most advanced in India. This is the first hospital in South India to perform 5 organ transplant surgeries in a day.
- Fortis Malar Hospital (Chennai) – It was established in 1992. The number of beds is 600. Fortis Healthcare is one of the leading unified healthcare delivery service providers in India. It consists of more than 160 consultants and 700 personnel at the hospital and around 12000 patients.
A bone marrow transplant is a very complicated medical procedure that needs proper preparation. Transplanting the right organ, finding a matching donor, and providing high-quality hospital services are all included. Patient recovery times depend on the patient’s age, health condition, and the reason for the transplant. It has both advantages and disadvantages. A patient needs to know everything before starting treatment.
Allnatt Healthcare offers health care, hotels, rooms, sanitation, and food services at a very reasonable price for people in India and on a worldwide basis. Our company provides you with top hospitals, doctors, specialists, and nurses. As part of our company, you have access to our team of experts and skilled staff. They will help you clarify your doubts and problems. You don’t need to worry here. As it says, Be Active, Be Healthy, and Be Happy.
Is a bone marrow transplant painful?
- The bone marrow transplant will generally take place more than one day after the process is complete. In this process, the stem cells will be moved step by step into your body by the main line. This process usually takes around a few hours of treatment.
- The transplant will not be painful and you will be awake throughout the whole process.
Are bone marrow transplants safe?
- Bone marrow transplantation is a safe treatment for patients who have some types of cancer, including blood cancers like leukemia and lymphoma. But in some cases, the patient’s healthy cells, tissues, and HSCs are damaged. In this case, patients may experience side effects such as infections, respiratory problems, and organ damage. However, only a small percentage of patients are affected by their age and overall health conditions.
Are bone marrow transplants expensive in India?
- If you are facing any kind of disease it affects you and your life both mentally and physically. Bone marrow transplants improve your quality of life. The relative amount of bone marrow transplants in India ranges between 12 – 15 lakh for an allogeneic transplant and 8 – 10 lakh for an autologous transplant. Costs are affected by factors such as hospital infrastructure and location, length of stay in a hospital, doctors, experts, their teams, nurses, technology, health problems, recovery time, and before and after transplant medications.