No. of Travellers - 2 | Days in Hospital - 5 | Days Outside Hospital - 15 | Total days in India - 20
“Both Knee Replacement” Locations
About “Both Knee Replacement”
Symptoms for Detecting Knee Replacement
Age and Gender are not criteria kept into consideration if someone is going for a knee replacement. Generally the only reason for surgical replacement depends on the degree of severity and disability. It is mostly recommended for older people, but teenagers or adults may undergo knee replacement if there is excess wear tear of the knee joint.
Helpful: What is a knee replacement surgery?
Read: Knee Implants Prices up to 69% less as government caps prices
This surgery is mostly when indicated in:
- Severe knee pain and stiffness
- Continuous Pain
- Chronic knee inflammation and swelling
- Chronic Knee deformity
- Failure of Medical treatments
Medical Test and diagnosis for Knee Replacement
Before the procedure, a complete physical examination, as well as several diagnostic tests including blood tests, will be done.
- Medical history (such as hemophilia, blood pressure, diabetes, and pregnancy), any medications (aspirin) and drug allergy if any should be informed to the doctor prior to the surgery.
- The patient is advised to stop smoking for as long as possible prior to the surgical procedure.
Click here to know about the best knee replacement hospitals in India
Treatment Procedure for Knee Replacement
The key indication for knee arthroplasty is to provide relief from pain caused by severe arthritis. Two types of knee replacement surgery are performed:
- Total Knee Replacement
- Partial Knee Replacement
There are various kinds of knee joint replacement surgeries including bilateral knee replacement surgeries, total knee replacement, single knee replacement, unicompartmental knee replacement, kneecap replacement, and complex or revision knee replacement.
During the Knee Replacement procedure
Knee replacement surgery will last up to 2-3 hours.
- An intravenous (IV) line may be started in your arm or hand & a urinary catheter is inserted.
- The skin over the surgical site will be cleansed with an antiseptic solution.
- An incision is made in the knee area.
- The surgeon will then remove the damaged surfaces of the knee joint and resurface the knee joint with the prosthesis.
- The knee prosthesis is made up of metal and plastic. The most common type of artificial knee prosthesis is a cemented prosthesis. A cemented prosthesis attaches to the bone with surgical cement.
- The prosthesis is mostly comprised of 3 components: the tibial component (to resurface the top of the tibia or shin bone), the femoral [thigh bone] component (to resurface the end of the thighbone and the patellar component (to resurface the bottom of the kneecap that rubs against the thighbone).
- Incision will be closed with stitches or surgical staples & a drain may be placed in the incision site to remove the fluid.
- A sterile bandage or dressing will be applied.
After the Knee Replacement procedure
After the surgery, patient is kept in the recovery room for few hours. Patient will be hospitalised for 4-6 days. Mostly people recover within 12 months after the surgery, but the recovery time will differ depending on the age and overall health. Once the surgical part is done, your knee joint replacement surgeon may use continuous passive motion (CPM) machine to improve the early motion. It is used during the hospital stay and may go up to for 3 weeks following surgery.
– Recommended for you: Success Rate of Knee Replacement in India
– Read how the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority helps in reducing the cost of knee implants up to 69% saving Rs. 1,500 crore per annum to consumers.
Factors Affecting Knee Replacement Surgery Cost in India
Following are the factors which affect knee replacement surgery cost in India:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons, Anesthetist, Physiotherapists, Dieticians). There are several Medical Colleges & Hospitals in Chennai, Delhi & Kolkata offering medical services in different departments such as bone marrow transplant, aortic valve replacement for deep vein thrombosis, carpal tunnel release to treat carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.
- Physiotherapy session
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options :
- Single knee/both knee
- Implant being used