PET scans are used to analyze a number of situations.
Cancer, heart problems, and brain problems can be detected with this test.
- Epilepsy – It can reveal which part of the brain is responsible for epilepsy. Doctors determine which treatment is most suitable for each patient.
- Alzheimer’s disease – Brain cells that are affected by Alzheimer’s. Compared to normal cells, it manages glucose levels more slowly.
- Cancer – PET Scans can show the presence and phase of cancer. Doctors use it to determine the most appropriate course of treatment.
- Help – It helps to diagnose the repeating of cancer even after treatment.
- Heart disease – PET scans can help to find out which segments of the heart have been damaged.
- Medical Research Purpose – To investigate the normal function of a human’s brain and heart.
Procedure of PET Scan
Before Procedure :
- You have to give complete instructions for the preparation of your PET Scan.
- Tell your doctor about any type of medications and supplements you are taking.
- Ask your doctor about any kind of allergies you have.
- Any current illnesses or other medical problems such as if you have diabetes. You will get special guidance for the preparation of the test.
- You are not allowed to scan if you are pregnant, plan to get pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- Generally, you are not allowed to consume food for at least 4 to 6 hours prior to scanning. However, it is advised to drink lots of water and stay hydrated.
- You will be required to remove all of your jewelry and body piercings because metal can obstruct the equipment used for testing.
During Procedure :
- A small amount of radiotracer will be inserted into a vein. The tracer can also be inhaled using a gas. It is taken by mouth and entered directly into an organ.
- Based on the organ that includes, it may take about 30 to 90 minutes for the radiotracer to reach the selected part of the body.
- You will be advised to stay still and avoid movement and talking.
- You will be asked to drink some different substances.
- You will be transferred into the PET/CT scanner and an image will be taken.
After Procedure :
- A radiologist will evaluate the images and report back to the doctor.
- You are advised to take plenty of water to clean the radioactive drugs out of your system more quickly.
- You will be advised to go home.
Complications of PET scan :
- Complications and risks of the test are negligible compared to the benefits derived from the diagnosis of severe medical problems.
- Allergic reactions to these medications are rare or generally moderate.
- Injection of the radiotracer may lead to mild pain and swelling which reduces quickly.
- Women should be advised to avoid this medicine while they are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
You may be interested in: What is PET Scan?
Factors Affecting Cost Of PET scan
The cost of the treatment depends on several factors, including:
- The hospital, the patient chooses.
- Fee for the team of doctors and radiologists.
- Standard tests procedure.
- Treatment of complications if any.