Diagnosis for performing IVF Treatment
IVF is performed in cases of infertility which may be due to
- Advanced age of the woman
- Damaged or blocked Fallopian tubes
- Decreased sperm count and blockage causing male infertility
- Unexplained infertility
- Ovulation disorders ,uterine fibroids
You may be interested in: What is IVF?
Procedure of IVF Treatment
I: Stimulation of ovaries also called super ovulation
- Medicines, called fertility drugs, are given to the woman to boost egg production.
- Blood tests for hormone levels and ultrasounds to examine ovaries are performed regularly .
II: Egg retrieval/ follicular aspiration
- Procedure called follicular aspiration, is done to remove the eggs from the woman’s body.
- The is performed as an outpatient procedure under sedation with no incision only by using ultrasound images as guide, a thin needle is inserted into the ovary and sacs (follicles) containing the eggs. The needle is connected to a suction device, which pulls the eggs and fluid out of each follicle, one at a time.
- The procedure is repeated for the other ovary.
- In few cases laparoscopy may be performed to remove the eggs .
- If a woman does not or cannot produce any eggs, donor eggs may be used.
You be may be interested in: What is the Success Rate of IVF with Donor Eggs?
- Sperm is placed together with the best quality eggs. The mixing of the sperm and egg is called insemination.
- Eggs and sperm are then stored in an environmentally controlled chamber. The sperm most often enters (fertilizes) an egg a few hours after insemination.
- In few cases, the sperm may be directly injected into the egg. This is called intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
- Many doctors routinely do ICSI on some of the eggs, even if things appear normal.
IV : Transfer of embryo to uterus
- When the fertilized egg divides, it becomes an embryo. Laboratory staff will regularly check the embryo to make sure it is growing properly. Within about 5 days, a normal embryo has several cells that are actively dividing
- Embryos are placed into the uterus 3 to 5 days after fertilization through a catheter
- If an embryo implants in the lining of the womb and grows, pregnancy results.
- More than one embryo may be placed into the uterus at the same time, which can lead to twins, triplets, or more.
Click here to know about step-by-step procedure of IVF.
After the Procedure of IVF
- Rest adviced for the remainder day , most can return to normal activities by next day .
- Complete bed rest not required .
- Recommended daily hormone progesterone for 8-10 weeks for normal course of pregnancy and to avoid miscarriage.
- Pregnancy test performed about 12 to 14 days after the embryo transfer.
Complications of IVF treatment
- Chances of multiple pregnancies as more than one embryo is placed in uterus ,leading high risk of premature birth and low birth weight baby.
- Egg retrieval can result in bleeding, infection, and damage to ovaries and surrounding structures.
- There may be temporary cramping after egg retrieval which may last for a day or two.
- Many couples suffer psychological stress and depression especially if IVF not successful.
- Financially and emotionally challenging treatment.
- Rarely fertility medications may cause ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS).
Factors affecting IVF Treatment cost in India
India offers the best IVF treatment at low-cost as compared to western countries such as Brazil, Thailand, Mexico. IVF treatment cost in India depends on a variety of factors like
- The hospital, the patient chooses. There are many IVF centers in Bangalore that offer affordable, cheapest IVF treatment with a high success rate. Indira IVF center is one of the best fertility IVF centers offering several fertility treatment options such as low sperm count. These centers are well-versed with expensive facilities like medical devices, etc. to make patients feel comfortable.
- Fee for the team of doctors.
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures.
- Cost of the procedure.
- Cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure.