What is Heart surgery?
Heart surgery is performed to correct all heart-related problems. It is done when other medicines, procedures, or lifestyle changes do not work. It is done in emergency conditions like a heart attack. Every year, more than 2 million people all over the world undertake open heart surgery to treat several heart problems. People of all ages can undergo heart surgery.
It depends on your heart problems. Your surgeon will suggest different options for heart surgery. These vary from minimally invasive surgery to open heart surgery. It may take a long time to recover.
What are the conditions that are required for Heart Surgery?
- Several heart problems can be treated with heart surgery. Heart surgical procedures are used, and the surgeon performs the procedure.
- Repair or restore heart valves, which manage blood flow between the heart.
- Rebuild damaged or irregular heart tissue.
- Insert medical tools that help manage the heartbeat or help the heart function and flow of blood.
- Transplant of a damaged heart with a healthy heart given by the donor.
What are the types of Heart Surgery?
Depending on your heart problems, your surgeon may perform heart surgery. It may include:
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery: In this surgery, a small incision is made between the ribs. This incision may be 2 to 3 inches long. The surgeon places a device in the chest through the incision. This kind of heart surgery is not used in heart-lung bypass devices.
- Off-pump Heart Surgery: It is open-heart surgery of the heart without using a heart-lung bypass machine. The surgeon controls the heart’s stability with a device. Some special cases may require coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) to be performed off-pump.
- Robotic-assisted Surgery: This is a kind of minimally invasive heart surgery. A computer is used to control a robotic arm in this surgery. It makes the surgeon more accurate when performing complicated operations.
- Open Heart Surgery: This is also known as traditional heart surgery. The surgeon cuts through the chest to reach the heart. In a heartbeat, it is difficult to operate. Because it stops the heartbeat. A heart-lung bypass machine is used to maintain oxygen-rich blood pumping around the body throughout the surgery.
Advantages of Heart Surgery
There are some advantages of heart surgery. It includes:
- Reduce the risk of stroke.
- Reduce the problems of memory loss and concentration power.
- Low mortality rates, especially among women and high-risk patients.
- Reduce the need for blood transfusions.
- Decrease the risk of heart disease.
- Decrease the time to stay in the hospital.
- Minimizes other heart problems.
Risk of Heart Surgery
As all surgeries have some risks and complications, this surgery also has risks. It includes:
- Infection, fever, and swelling.
- Sleeping problems.
- Damage to the heart, kidneys, and lungs.
- Risk is higher when you have.
- Kidney diseases.
- Lung diseases.
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD).
Heart Surgery in India
Heart surgery is a procedure that involves the treatment of heart problems. It is performed when all medicines no longer work. They perform to restore the heart valves and other damaged parts of the heart.
In India, doctors perform 60,000 open heart surgeries every year. Because of the rise of heart problems, it is essential to see all possible treatments. Currently, The method of treatment for the heart is increasing.
Here are some of the best hospitals in India for heart surgery. It includes:
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
It was established in 2001.
The number of beds is 300.
This institute is also known as the ‘Mecca of Healthcare. It includes the specialty in the field of cardiac sciences, neurosciences, emergency and trauma, bone and joint, renal science, gastro sciences, critical care, and organ transplant.
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
It was established in 1996.
The number of beds is 1000.
It includes a specialty in the field of coronary artery bypass surgery, neonatal heart surgery, or valvular heart disease.
Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket New Delhi
It was established in 1989.
The number of beds is 252.
It includes a specialty in the field of end-stage heart failures such as pacemakers, heart hole surgeries, pediatric cardiac surgery, and angiography.
Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
It was established in 2007.
The number of beds is 350.
There are high-quality medical facilities for the departments of cardiology, neurology, orthopedics and joint replacement, urology, obstetrics and gynecology, gastroenterology, and urology.
BLK Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi
It was established in 1959.
The number of beds is 650.
It includes a specialty in the field of total arterial grafting, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, and coronary bypass surgery.
MGM Healthcare, Chennai
It was established in 1970.
The number of beds is 400.
It includes a specialty in the field of coronary angioplasty and stenting, coronary artery bypass grafting, coronary angiography, 24-hour Holter monitoring, heart valve surgery, surgery for cardiac tumors, pediatric cardiac surgery, and thoracic surgery.
Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon
It was established in 2009.
The number of beds is 1250.
It includes a specialty in the field of percutaneous valve therapies, redoes operations, and transmyocardial laser revascularization.
Manipal Hospitals, Dwarka Delhi
It was established in 1970.
The number of beds is 380.
It includes the specialty in the field of coronary angioplasty and stenting, primary rescue angioplasty, peripheral angioplasty and stenting, renal angioplasty and stenting, and carotid artery stenting.
Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi
It was established in 1988.
The number of beds is 285.
It includes a specialty in the field of minimal access surgery and robotic surgery to treat heart disease.
Heart surgery is a solution for all heart problems. It is done when no other medicines or therapies work ranging from a traditional to an advanced stage. Today India is looking for an advanced, new technical method to do heart surgery. It achieved its goal in many fields. There are some of the top hospitals in India that use its advanced technology and good management for heart surgical treatment. It includes skilled and experienced surgeons, nurses, and experts. They are always available for the patient before, during, or after treatment.
Can you travel after heart surgery?
- You can travel 10 to 14 days after chest surgery or coronary artery bypass graft.
Can you drive after heart surgery?
- You cannot drive for some time because it affects your ability to drive over a short period. It may take longer for those who undergo heart surgery. You can take it within 2 to 4 weeks. For further information consult with your doctor.