About “Cancer Institute (WIA) Adyar”
- Also known as Adyar Cancer Institute, Cancer Institute (WIA) became the Regional Cancer Centre in 1974.
- In 1974, it was declared as “Centre of Excellence” by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The hospital has many firsts in its credit, including
- In 1956, first cobalt-60 teletherapy unit in the entire South East Asia was installed at the Institute.
- In 1970, the first medical oncology unit in the country started functioning at the Cancer Institute (WIA).
- In 1976, the hospital has introduced the first linear accelerator in India.
- In 2009, the first Rapid Arc Therapy facility in India.
- It has a first medical school in India which offers degrees in various sub-specialties of oncology by Medical Council of India.
TEAM AND SPECIALITIES
- The hospital was founded by Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddy – India’ first woman medical graduate.
- The Institute has hospital, research division, division of preventive oncology and college of oncological sciences.
- Of the 535 beds, 40% are paying beds and remaining are general beds where patients are boarded free of cost.
Chennai International Airport, Chennai
- Distance: 11 KMs
- Time: 22 Minutes
Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi
- Distance: 2200 KMs
- Time: 3 Hours (By flight)
- Distance: 3 KMs
- Time: 9 Minutes